The temperatures finally fell and you turned on your trusty heater. But can you remember the last time it was cleaned? Or serviced? When was the last time you changed the air filter? Maybe you changed the filter before the temperature dropped, but did you know there’s more you can do to keep your heater running efficiently? Skelton’s Heating and Cooling is here for its Birmingham residents. Follow our advice to keep your heater running well throughout the winter season.
Heating System Maintenance
Here are three steps you can take to help maintain a good heating system throughout the winter.
- Change filters. Filters keep dust, allergens and other debris out of your HVAC system. This not only keeps your unit from becoming damaged from build-up, it also stops those pollutants from being circulated throughout your home.
- Upgrade thermostat. Programmable and smart thermostats can be scheduled to heat your home during specific days and times. This can contribute to less energy usage and help extend the life of your furnace.
- Schedule routine maintenance. You should schedule professional heating services annually. At Skelton’s, our technicians are trained to identify and fix any worn or damaged parts as well as test your heater’s functionality.
In addition to good upkeep, here are some preventative maintenance tips you can perform. All of these tasks can be done without having to call on a professional and doing these tasks will help keep your heater running more efficiently.
- Seal leaky ducts. Use metal tape or mastic sealant. Ironically, never use duct tape to seal a leaky duct as it is not long-lasting.
- Vacuum around burner and blower compartments. There are many small, delicate parts inside your heater. Beyond vacuuming debris around the base and general area, contact a professional to clean the details.
- Clean your vents. Vacuum and wipe the vents inside your home. You might also consider installing a filter in your return vent.
Heater Neglect–What’s the Worst That Could Happen
- Carbon monoxide poisoning. Gas heaters undergo a combustion process to make heat, which results in the production of different gases–including carbon monoxide. Cracks, breaks or damage to your heater can allow toxic gases to enter your home instead of exiting out the flue. Regular furnace maintenance can reduce this risk.
- Poor indoor air quality. Dirty or damaged heaters can circulate polluted air throughout your home. Poor air quality can result in physical symptoms ranging from allergies to chronic illness. Consider adding this service to your annual heating tune-up.
- Emergency repair or replacement. If not regularly maintained, your heater can suffer a sudden breakdown. Avoid unnecessary expenses by maintaining your heater throughout the winter and scheduling a yearly tune-up.
A warm and efficient winter
You and your family deserve to stay warm and cozy this winter. By maintaining your heater, you can trust that your home will be just that. Take the necessary steps to keep your heater running smoothly and rely on professionals to help with the details. With our Ironclad Guarantees, you can trust Skelton’s Heating and Cooling to give you some of the most reliable heating maintenance in Birmingham. Contact us today to schedule your annual furnace tune-up.